Monday 24 January 2011

Never mind the offside rule in football.. what about real life?

Share | Obviously men of a certain age and men of a certain mindset still think of women as stay at home babysitters whilst the hunter gatherer goes to work, drinks beer and watches footy.

I don't watch football regularly. I played as a Scout many years ago and at Uni I played 5-a-side. I have been to two Premier League games. I found the racism, agression from the fans and the segregation overwhelming. I couldnt wait to get home.

I dont understand those supporters to whom I have talked who love the agression directed towards opposing fans and the officials on the pitch.

I do watch rugby union. I played it for many years. I refereed for a while. I love the atmposphere and friendliness of rugby-although I have noted a tendency by commentators and supporters to start the "blame the ref" approach one associates with football.

Two really important people from Sky Sports were recorded having a private conversation about a female assistant referee before a game had started. Apparently football is a man's game, played by men, watched by men, run by men and organised by men. That's proabably why England do so well in competitions?

Lots of girls and women play football as they do rugby and other "male" sports. I have to say that my one experience of a female rugby referee was that she was really very badly treated on one occasion by drunken young men at Novos when she took charge of a game.

I also don't like the way some women feel able to talk about "men" as if somehow we are all the same.

Imagine if I walked into a school and started ranting at the headmistress because she was a woman. Or what if I ran up the ailse of a plane-or church-and ranted at the pilot-or the Minister-that she was a "f------g stupid bitch who knew nuthin about flying bloody planes -or communicating with God and preaching".

Would it matter if I was at home, in the bath, thinking such thoughts? Is it acceptable for me to think racist thoughts, sexist thoughts, thoughts of jealousy, evny and hatred so long as I dont express them "publicly"?

Can women referee premier league football? Of course they can.

Can women referee international rugby? Of course they can.

Can women fly aeroplanes? Yes.


Is what the Sky Sports presenters said-even though it was a private conversation- wrong? Of course it is. It cannot be justified by calling it "banter" or by saying "well women say men cant multi-task".

It was outdated, bigoted, ill-considered, opinionated rubbish-that is all too prevalent still in sport, the world of business and in the legal world.

I have two daughters. I wish for them to achieve the best they can. I want them to be confident enough in themsleves to be able to do what they wish. If they wish to be a home maker then fine. If they wish to work and have a family fine. If they wish to have a career only then fine. What I don't want for them is to be subject to the prejudices, bigotry and hatred that is still directed at women.

I have a son. When he was born-after two daughters-some said to me how happy I must be to have a son. I was happy he was born. I was happy he was healthy and my wife was healthy. I wasn't pleased that finally I'd got a boy because I didnt view the girls as trial and error until I'd finally hit the jackpot. I wish for him to achieve as I wish for my daughters. I suspect his life in business or in sport would be a lot easier than that of his sisters, if they were to choose that path.

That for me is the worst about what the Sky Sports presenters said. Women are still not allowed to strive for and achieve what they wish to strive for and achieve. There are still barriers, unnecessary and arbitrary limitations. Those barriers do not make sense. They are unjustified. Comments which suggest a justification for such barriers and limitations are unjustifiable.

Neither of the Sky Sports presenters has yet apologised. That's been done for them by their employer. Not man enough to say sorry or to explain their views?

Female Liberation. History and Current Politics


Women's Rights & Attitudes: Powerful, Famous, & Accomplished Women (1974)

No comments:

Post a Comment